This agreement was last revised on January 29, 2014.
The original language of this document is English.
1. Acceptance of Terms
2. WordPress and Automattic
Because this blog is hosted by WordPress, users are bound by their Terms of Service. In the event of any conflict between this document and the Terms of Service for WordPress.com, the latter shall prevail. See http://en.wordpress.com/tos/ for details.
Because WordPress.com services include advertising, this blog cannot accept paid advertising in its current form. This does not mean that authors cannot review, discuss, and promote their or other’s products, and give links to points of sale. Any ads that appear on the blog are put there by WordPress.com to help keep the blog service free to users.
Registered authors are required to give their names and contact information for administrative purposes only. Otherwise, we do not collect any information on users of this website beyond what is automatically gathered by WordPress and Automattic. Any information gathered will not shared or sold, with the exception of non-identifiable blog statistics which may be posted for informational purposes.
Unless stated otherwise, any work submitted to this site will be published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0 Unported License.
Unless expressly stated to the contrary in the submission, the author shall retain all rights over any original work posted on this site. By submitting to this blog, the author grants WordPress.com a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting the blog. The following exceptions are noted:
- In instances where content has been marked private or has been password protected, we will respect the rights of the author to limit access to that content and will not make it available to the general public.
- Where incomplete stories are posted for other users to finish, the author agrees to publish under a Creative Commons Sharealike license. This does not include collaborations, only abandoned stories.
- Any collaborations developed in workshops are considered the joint property of all participants who contributed to body of the work (excluding comments and suggestions). Any change of status, including publishing on the blog or elsewhere, must be agreed to unanimously. Any profits from sales are to be divided in equal parts.
5. User Conduct
This blog is meant for mature audiences. Due the nature of the content, there may controversial viewpoints, scenes, settings, or characters in some of the submissions. It is not the intent of this blog to censor anyone, but we would ask that you keep a general audience in mind when writing for this blog. Submissions containing explicit and graphic sexual content or violence will be removed if they violate the consensus standards of the community. Users who engage in any threats of violence, incitement to violence, hate speech, bullying, harassment, pornography, criminal enterprises, violations of privacy, copyright infringement, or any other act that may cause harm to another will have all access to the site terminated without notice.
Registered authors must contact the administrator to be removed from blog. Authors may delete any or all of their posts without reason or notice. If an author does not post for three months without notifying the administrator about the period of dormancy, they may be removed as authors for inactivity. Authors monopolizing the blog or using the blog to promote an agenda may be suspended or terminated at the discretion of the administrator.
7. Disclaimers And Limitations of Liability
- Although this project evolved in large part from the Goodreads forums for the Sword & Laser book club, we are not affiliated in any way with either Goodreads or Sword & Laser. The producers of Sword & Laser have given support and exposure to the blog, but are not responsible for its content.
- You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Foil & Phaser and its administration, moderators, contributors, viewers, and their respective agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the site, including but not limited to your violation of this agreement.
- In no event will Foil & Phaser, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement for substitute products or services; or (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data. Foil & Phaser shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
- Links and Offsite Storage are not maintained by the site or WordPress and are the responsibility of the author who posts or uses them.
- The services of this site are available “as-is”.
- Mentions of any products or services on this site do not constitute an advertisement or endorsement, and should not be construed as such. Resources are posted based on user’s suggestions and are not vetted in any way. Use at you own risk.
8. General Practices Regarding Use and Storage
Because storage space is limited, we ask that you refrain from adding large media files to your posts. Resize any pictures before you upload. The maximum width available before the blog resizes them is only about 600 pixels. You cannot upload video or audio files but you can link to outside sources like YouTube to accomplish the same effect.
Please report any violations of these terms of service to the blog administrator by email with the subject line “Violation of Terms”. Be sure to state the location and exact nature of the violation in the body of the text.
January 29, 2014 – Updated links to reflect changes in Creative Commons licenses.