Help expand our database of writers resources.
Blogs, Vlogs, and Websites
- Advanced Fiction Writing – dedicated to teaching novelists organizational, creative, and marketing skills.
- Aerogramme Writers’ Studio – Often posts useful information and advice for aspiring writers.
- Dark Treasury – Links to fantasy writing and worldbuilding advice.
- Fantastic Maps – Tutorials on mapmaking.
- GalleyCat – Similarly has many writer resources, not specific to SFF.
- Mythic Scribes – A platform for new and aspiring authors, as well as a meeting place for writers and fans of the genre.
- Novel Conclusions – A former English teacher and copy editor with a lifelong love of reading and writing.
- Query Shark – A real live agent critiques the query letters of aspiring authors.
- StoryFix – Write better (tips and techniques).
StoryWonk – offer classes, lectures and editorial services, along with the popular StoryWonk Daily and StoryWonk Sunday podcasts.
- WordPlay – Geek & Sundry creative writing vlog with Nika Harper.
- Worldbuilding Rules! – A blog about creating imaginary worlds .
- World Literary Cafe – General resources about indie publishing, not specific to SFF.
- World Weaving – Tumblr-based blog about worldbuilding.
- Writer’s Digest – WritersDigest.com is the one-stop shop for information, resources and writing community. Info on literary agents.
- bull4499.wordpress.com – Personal blog of Featured Author AJ Muller
- Brandon Sanderson – Brandon Sanderson’s blog
- The Creative Penn – Website of self-published author Joanna Penn. Useful information for anyone considering the idea of taking the plunge into self-publishing.
- Fiction Improbable – Personal blog of Featured Author Gord McLeod
- Hugh Howey – The blog of Hugh Howey, the author of the Wool series. He is sure to comment on any big news happening in the publishing world and give the perspective of how those choices affect the self-publishing community.
- The Independent Author Network – A community of authors who are self published or published by a small indie press.Important website for people looking to become independent authors.
- Jane Friedman – The website and blog of Jane Friedman, a former heavyweight at Writer’s Digest, is packed full of useful resources.
- Nicole Land – Personal blog of Featured Author Nicole Powelei
- Patrick Rothfuss – Patrick Rothfuss’ blog
- PoliSciFi – Personal blog of Featured Author James Hedrick
- sfwriter.com – the blog of Robert J. Sawyer includes a large advice section How to Write
- terribleminds – NSFW blog from Chuck Wendig: novelist, screenwriter, and game designer.
- tracycembor – Tracy Cembor does a good weekly link round-up for writing advice.
- Verbatim Gibberish – Personal blog of Featured Author Sean Sandulak
- Whatever – As the outgoing head of SFWA, John Scalzi is often quick to comment on controversies within the SF/F community and publishing news at large.
Books and Book Reviews:
- 101 Books – One man on a mission to read 101 books, he posts other interesting writing/reading/publishing things too.
- Tor/Forge’s Blog – A blog by Tor publishing house, heavily skewed towards marketing their books, but I like their books so it’s okay. It has a link round-up once a week which can also have some interesting tidbits.
- 750 Words – writing website which encourages you to write 750 words a day. Keeps track of your ongoing streak of days writing 750 words and rewards the writer with badges. Also saves a copy of the writing (always good to have backups) and provides some analytics for the day’s words.
- A. Childs’s Prompts – @promptoftheday Daily prompt on your Twitter feed.
- Character Inspiration – Posts pictures of people to inspire characters in your writing.
- Figment Daily Themes – Original writing prompts emailed to you daily.
- Giant Golden Buddha – 365 five-minute writing exercises by C.M Mayo.
- I dare you to write – Take up a dare.
- StoryWonk Story Generator – Silly, but possibly insightful.
Trifecta Writing Challenge – Flash fiction challenge with twice weekly prompts.
- Written? Kitten! – Feeds you pictures of kittens as you write.
- Worlds Without End – News site intended to cover the major genre fiction awards. Also has some writer contests, interesting resources, and insightful book reviews.
Some basic critiquing resources.
Grammar, Punctuation, and Spelling
- Sword & Laser – Audio podcast
- Grammar Girl – Podcast and website covering common grammar and spelling issues.
- Nerdist Writers Panel – Panel / Interview with professional writers about the process and business of writing.
- The Self Publishing Podcast – Does not actually publish itself. Three authors discuss self-publishing.
- StoryWonk – Offer classes, lectures and editorial services, along with the popular StoryWonk Daily and StoryWonk Sunday podcasts.
- Writing Excuses – Fifteen minutes long, because you’re in a hurry, and we’re not that smart.
- The Alliance of Independent Authors – ALLi is a nonprofit, professional association for self-publishing writers.
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America – SFWA is a professional organization for authors of science fiction, fantasy and related genres. Host of the Nebula Awards.