Because of the nature of Amazon’s business model, it is difficult to publish free books and Creative Commons licensed material directly for the Kindle market. This is one of those unfortunate instances where the business and creative communities are in conflict. I am attempting a work around, but in the interests of full disclosure, I wish to make the following public:
- Amazon does not allow aliases, so I will be publishing under my name, i.e. Sean Sandulak.
- Amazon does not allow books to be published for free, at least not for independent authors and publishers.
- Amazon will usually price match to other retailers such as Apple, Kobo, etc. even if the price is zero.
Therefore I will only release the book on Amazon when the book becomes available at other stores (which may take several more days if not longer). In addition:
- The price will be set to US$0.99 (the minimum).
- If Amazon does not price match within a reasonable period or sets an amount other than zero, the title will be removed.
- We will not provide any links to the Kindle store until the price has been matched.
This will mean that for a period Amazon will be charging for any ebook purchases. In the interval between posting and price matching, if anyone should purchase the title, any monies collected will be put toward charity. Please note however:
- The book will remain free at all other venues, including Smashwords and via direct email at foilandphaser(at)gmail(dot)com.
- We cannot offer any refunds as we are unable to confirm the identity of purchasers.
- Royalties are only paid out on accounts over $100.
- We are very unlikely to sell the 286 copies required to reach $100 in such a short time.
- Amazon may reject the book based on their own criteria.
Also the following changes have been made to the ebook since it was first published:
- The cover was changed to a higher resolution due to image artifacts.
- The copyright page has been changed to show the author’s copyrights.
In summary, Divide and Conquer may appear for a short time in the Kindle bookstore for a fee. The ebook will remain free at other venues and you are encouraged to use these instead until Amazon reduces the price. It is not my intention to profit from the work of others; any royalties paid will go toward charity. The only alternative is to not use the largest distribution platform for ebooks.
Should any of the authors appearing in the collection not agree to these terms the title will be removed from Amazon’s catalog. Please contact me directly if you have any questions or concerns.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
EDIT 2014/02/02 – Smashwords does do limited shipping to Amazon, so we are waiting to see if we can ship through them to keep the publishing consolidated in one place.