In the “What Do You Want From This Blog?” poll results, the most popular choices were getting writing advice and feedback. We’ve already had a couple of excellent articles from our authors, and we have expanded our Writers Resources section this week. We hope to make writing advice a regular feature and will continue to add to our growing list of links.
The next most popular choices were to share and read fiction. We will try to bring you at least one or two new short stories every week, plus assorted flash fiction. Plus we have added a submissions page where you may send in your stories. We will also try to reblog at least one author per week, to expose you some of the great talent that is out there.
We are still looking for new writers, both as regular contributors and guest writers. The blog will only get better if more people can contribute and share their unique perspectives. If you’re looking for an outlet to display your talent, or you want to try blogging but are unsure now to get started, consider joining the Foil & Phaser team. You will get the advantage of a built-in audience and community support. Or if you already have a blog, send us a link and we will be happy to reblog or link to you.
Collaborations and workshops came in at the bottom but still garnered a substantial share of the vote. We will be adding two new workshops and a long form serial collaboration this week. I will put the details for sign-up in a separate post, so you may link and share.
To the person who submitted the one write-in vote for “Conan!”, did you mean the barbarian, the librarian, or Team Coco?
New poll. We know you love both, but gun to your head, which would you chose?
- The menus were reorganized to group similar items together and give the site a cleaner look. A separate Submissions page was added to the main menu to facilitate new users. Resources were condensed until more content can be added. WordPress tip are now under Resources.
- We have added a calendar, so you may submit all your foily & phasery current events, meet-ups, book releases, birthdays, etc. by using the form. The next ten events will show up in the sidebar.
- Added a Romance category for anyone who wants to submit or read SFF romance stories.
- Edited the sticky post to reflect changes and bring latest post up higher on the page.
There was an email discussion among the authors about nailing down some regular features for the blog, so I thought I would move the discussion here so others can add their thoughts as well. Suggestions made included weekly recurring days for collaborations, news and views, original fiction, flash fiction, and different types of writing prompts.
Here are my thoughts.
- Sunday Inspiration – A weekly prompt to inspire writing, author quotes, and video links.
- Monday is Dead Story Day – An abandoned story is posted and we invite you to finish it. One Page at a Time and other collaborations too.
- Fresh Fiction Tuesday – An original piece of fiction from one of our Featured Authors or a Guest Writer.
- Workshop Wednesday – Updates from workshops, plus more fiction for feedback.
- Thoughtful Thursday – News and views on writing, marketing and publishing; maybe more fiction
- Flash Fiction Friday – Stories less than 1500 words, challenges
- Saturday Leftovers – Site news (like this post), fun and games, grab bag
Regular posts would go out at 3 PM UTC (11 AM ET, 8 AM PT). Plus anyone would still be free to publish any additional posts. If need be we can schedule each author to write one of the posts each week, we could rotate, etc. If you have other ideas, if you think that’s too much or not enough, or if the days are wrong, leave a comment below.