In early 2013, the Sword & Laser book club and podcast announced that they were taking submissions for a short story anthology. On the group’s Goodreads forums, a discussion began about what could be done with all the entries which wouldn’t make the cut. I suggested that a community blog where authors could submit their writing and have it read and critiqued by their peers might be a solution for at least some those stories.
I’ve set up this site to show how such a blog could work. Individual authors would request membership and, upon approval, be able to post and edit their own work on their own schedule. The site would be an opportunity for developing artists to hone their skills and network with other writers and readers.
In the posts below, I’ve given some examples of how posts might look and some of the different formats and projects that we could try as a group. Give each one a look and let me know what you think. If you feel that I’ve missed something important that can’t be crammed into one of these categories, leave a comment below. Please do not fill out the forms; these are not real posts and you will flood my inbox with spam.
- The Public Post – John and the Letter: Flash Fiction
- The Semi-Private Post – John and the Letter: Help Wanted
- The Protected Post – John and the Letter: Beta Readers Wanted
- Works-in-Progress – An Orphaned Story Idea
- Collaborations – The Chain Letter
- Essays and Writing Advice – The Misunderstood Semicolon
- Author Profiles, Interviews, and Book Reviews – John Smith: A Writer In Love With Himself
- Writing Challenges – Weekly Writing Challenge